Our research group invites you to apply for one Postdoctoral position in data-driven flow control at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
Learning lessons from laboratory experiments is not straightforward. The most recent successful histories of flow control are based on automatic training of the most effective control action to achieve a certain goal. The final outcome is often a black box, which is fed by sensor data and provides suitable control actions. The challenges of interpreting the black box behaviour render difficult generalization.
The postdoc will be responsible for investigating data-driven methods to establish a flexible framework aimed at synthesizing the output of flow diagnostics in physically-interpretable control models. Data mining, manifold learning and artificial intelligence techniques will be the cornerstones to reach these objectives. The research activities will be both experimental and numerical.
The successful candidate will join the Experimental Aerodynamics and Propulsion Laboratory (https://aero.uc3m.es/eap-lab/), within the Aero Research Group (http://aero.uc3m.es/research.html) of UC3M. He/she will work in the group of Prof. Stefano Discetti within the ERC Starting Grant project NEXTFLOW (Next-generation flow diagnostics for control https://erc-nextflow.uc3m.es/) and will participate to the supervision of scientific activities of the team.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Outstanding academic record.
- PhD holder (or close to finish PhD studies) in Aerospace Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, Applied Mathematics & Statistics, Scientific Computing, Computer Science. Also, candidates with tracks in other disciplines but outstanding academic record are invited to apply.
- International experience; team-working, communication and leadership skills.
- Critical thinking, and ability to cope with innovation and interdisciplinarity.
What we offer
- Annual gross salary 35000-40000€ range, depending on experience.
- Total duration: 2 years.
- Become part of a young, dynamic, highly qualified, collaborative team.
- Flexible working environment and schedule.
- Opportunity to travel to international conferences to present research activities.
- Opportunity to supervise the activities of MSc and PhD students.
- Health coverage under the National Health System.
How to apply
- CV (max. 6 pages), including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Highlights of the 3 main research papers.
- A motivation letter of experience, interests, and research goals (max. 2 pages).
- 2 professional or academics recommendation letters.
Submission of applications is due by September 15th, 2023 (though early applications are strongly encouraged, and later applications will be considered until the vacancy is filled). The contract will begin in November 2023, though earlier/later start date can be agreed.
The research group aims to increase the share of women in academic positions, therefore applications from women are particularly encouraged.