Our research group invites you to apply for one Post-doctoral position in data-driven flow control at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
Description and objectives: Learning lessons from laboratory experiments is not straightforward. Recent successful histories of flow control are based on model-free identificacion of the most effective control action to achieve a certain goal. The final outcome is often a black box, which is fed by sensor data and provides suitable control actions. The challenges of interpreting the black box behaviour render difficult generalization. The goal of the research is to exploit the advances of 4D-4C flow diagnostics to elaborate physically-interpretable compact control laws after optimization with model-free techniques. The postdoc will be responsible for investigating data-driven methods to extract parsimonious models for flow control problems, thus providing a flexible framework aimed at synthesizing the output of flow diagnostics. Data mining and artificial intelligence techniques will be the cornerstones to reaching these objectives. The research activities will be both experimental and numerical.
Desired background and skills:
- Outstanding academic record.
- PhD holder (or close to finish PhD studies) in Aerospace Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, Applied Mathematics & Statistics, Scientific Computing, Computer Science. Also, candidates with tracks in other disciplines but outstanding academic record are invited to apply.
- International experience; team-working, communications and leadership skills.
- Critical thinking, and ability to cope with innovation and interdisciplinarity.
What we offer:
- Annual gross salary 31000-40000€ range, depending on experience.
- Total duration: up to 3 years, through renewable 1-year contracts.
- Become part of a young, dynamic, highly qualified, collaborative team.
- Flexible working environment and schedule.
- Opportunity to travel to international conferences to present research activities.
- Opportunity to supervise the activities of MSc and PhD students.
- Health coverage under the National Health System.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must send their applications to email@example.com indicating in the e-mail subject NEXTFLOW-PostDoc, including in a single pdf file:
- CV (max. 6 pages), including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Highlights of the 3 main research papers.
- A motivation letter of experience, interests, and research goals (max. 2 pages).
- 2 professional or academics recommendation letters.
The research group aims to increase the share of women in academic positions, therefore applications from women are particularly encouraged.
Submission of applications is due by October 30th, 2022 (though early applications are strongly encouraged, and later applications will be considered until the vacancy is filled). The contract will begin in January 2023, though earlier/later start date can be agreed.
This project is funded by the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program (grant agreement No 949085).